A Reliquary for Louise came about when a kind woman from northern Mississippi sent me a handful of debris she had picked up while volunteering on the coast. After several unsuccessful attempts to create a cohesive arrangement of her fragments, I decided to take the same tact I had with the piece for the Carters. I enclosed her fragments in the warm embrace of a reliquary. The structure itself is composed from a salvaged jewelry box, two pieces of painted plywood, a metal angel and some resin wings. The glass in the door has been frosted with paint, so one can only glimpse a shadow of the treasures lying within. I added the pages of the letter which Louise wrote to me about her experiences here; they are rolled up and tied with copper wire and are nestled among the debris. 15" x 22" x 5" SOLD

No comments:

"Northeast Quadra nt" from The Katrina Collection The Katrina Collection is a series of mixed media assemblages which incorpor...