Barthe’s Angel is one of my favorite pieces in the series. Before the storm, I had many transparencies of letters from Barthe, a world renowned sculptor from Bay St. Louis, to the Labat sisters. Nearly two months after Katrina, I chanced upon two of those letters, lying in a heap of rubble by the side of the road blocks from my house. Scuffed, torn and covered in mud, they were an incredible find. This letter seemed to fall into place on the plywood with so many layers ripped off, and the round wire piece from a friend’s dartboard. The “halo’ was screaming for an angel, and I just happened to have a broken angel, thanks to some friends on Main Street. The cross and the repeated round shape in rusted metal complete the piece. 16" x 34"

SOLD

No comments:

"Northeast Quadra nt" from The Katrina Collection The Katrina Collection is a series of mixed media assemblages which incorpor...