Gustave Series

Just a few days after the third year anniversary of Katrina, Hurricane Gustav blew into Louisiana. While the Mississippi Gulf Coast was spared the worst of the storm, we did not escape the storm's effects entirely. In Clermont Harbor, where my husband and I were still living in a Katrina Cottage and also maintained a workshop, four feet of water covered our slab. The workshop was a shambles, and the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency evicted us from the flooded cottage. As we began cleaning up the mess, I came across several bags of small scraps of handmade papers, left over from my workshops. Even in their soggy, smelly condition they were too beautiful to throw away. I rinsed them, let them soak in some bleach water, and laid them out to dry on my slab. The collages I created from them are all approximately 12" x 12", and are available for sale.

No comments:

"Northeast Quadra nt" from The Katrina Collection The Katrina Collection is a series of mixed media assemblages which incorpor...